As writers, it's easy to get caught up in the pressure to produce, to constantly write and revise until our eyes blur and our fingers ache. But sometimes, the best thing we can do for ourselves as writers is to step back and take a breath. To take a moment to recharge our batteries and come back to the page feeling refreshed and empowered.
In this blog post, we'll explore 7 activities that can help you do just that. From meditative practices to creative exercises, I'll share some tips and tricks for relaxing and reconnecting with your writing in a way that feels both restorative and rewarding. So sit back, take a deep breath, and let's jump in!
7 Activities that Will Help You Relax and Feel Empowered as a Writer:
- Self-care: Taking care of yourself is essential for your overall well-being. This includes getting enough sleep, eating healthy, and taking breaks when needed. By prioritizing self-care, you can maintain your energy and creativity for your writing project, especially a writing project that involves writing your story!
- Exercise: Regular exercise can help reduce stress, boost your energy levels, and help you stay focused when you sit down to write. Find an exercise that you enjoy, whether it's running, hiking, dancing, or lifting weights, and make it a regular part of your routine.
- Mindful breathing: Taking a few minutes throughout the day to practice mindful breathing can help you reduce stress and increase focus. Simply close your eyes and take deep breaths, focusing on the sensation of the air moving in and out of your body.
- Disconnecting from technology: In a world that is increasingly connected, it can be difficult to disconnect from technology. However, taking a break from social media and email can help reduce stress and increase focus. Try setting aside a specific time each day to disconnect and engage in one of the activities listed above. Disconnecting from technology is also helpful to add to your focused writing time as well.
- Cooking and baking: I know this is a different and rare activity that you probably were not expecting in this blog but cooking and baking are activities that allow you to be creative, and can also be meditative. It is a great way to take a break from writing and engage in a different kind of creativity. Additionally, the satisfaction of creating something delicious can serve as a confidence booster.
- Traveling: Experiencing new cultures, meeting new people, and seeing new sights can be incredibly inspiring for writers. It can also be a great way to recharge and come back to your writing with fresh ideas and renewed energy.
- Journaling: Writing in a journal can be a therapeutic and creative outlet. It allows you to explore your thoughts and emotions, which can be helpful for overcoming writer's block. Journaling can also serve as a record of ideas and inspiration.
Remember, taking care of yourself is an important part of being a successful writer. By engaging in activities that help you relax and feel empowered, you can improve your writing and enjoy the process more.
Which activity will you implement to help you relax and feel empowered as a writer?
Brit LashaeReady to work with Journey Written and have me as your book-writing Coach? Visit www.JourneyWritten.com today so that we can discuss your book goals and project!